An American Flag Cake that not solely seems to be fairly and patriotic but in addition tastes superb? Sure, it exists! And it makes an attention grabbing centerpiece in your Memorial Day or Fourth of July celebrations.
Consisting of a basic Bolo de Leite Ninho, however adorned Pink, White and Blue, this cake is just like me: a bit Brazilian, a bit American and an entire lot of scrumptious!
Earlier this yr, I decided that I needed to convey a Flag Cake to our neighborhood Memorial Day cookout. As I used to be searching by means of some recipes, I observed they have been all kinda boring. Often some type of white cake (typically from a field) topped with frosting or Cool Whip and adorned with berries.
Nicely, I don’t find out about you, but when I’m going to cheat on my food regimen and eat cake, it had better be a cake to remember!
So I combined a favourite from my childhood with the standard berry flag design and this American Flag Cake was born. Creamy, luscious and oh so moist!
- 1 What’s Leite Ninho?
- 2 Components for Sponge Cake
- 3 How one can Make Sponge Cake
- 4 Elements for Powdered Milk Frosting
- 5 The right way to make Leite Ninho Frosting
- 6 Assembling a Flag Cake
- 7 Adorning an American Flag Cake
- 8 Elements
- 9 Instructions
- 10 Notes
- 11 Beneficial Products
- 12 More patriotic recipes on your summer time celebration:
What’s Leite Ninho?
Leite Ninho is powdered milk.
Powdered or dried milk is a manufactured dairy product made by removing all the moisture from milk. The primary function of doing that is to protect it, as dried milk has a far longer shelf life than liquid milk and doesn’t have to be refrigerated.
Nevertheless, in Brazil, it is used in a number of recipes. Just about each time you should add richness, thickness and/or creaminess! So you will discover it in muffins, mousses, trifles, flan, ice cream, bread, cookies and whilst a topping for popcorn.
As for purchasing it, you can find it in the baking aisle of your grocery store, in huge zip-top luggage or canisters. If it’s not there, attempt the coffee/tea aisle, as it could possibly typically be subsequent to the powdered espresso creamers. Don’t confuse them although, as they don’t seem to be the identical!
Components for Sponge Cake
- Baking Powder
You’ll notice that there’s no butter or oil on this cake. The cake will get its spongy construction, lightness and open texture from whipping the eggs until fluffy and aerated.
As for taste, that may come from soaking all the frosting goodness. Yes, this cake, by itself, isn’t something you’d having fun with eating. But once you give it the prospect to soak the other flavors, it turns into moist, slightly candy and unbelievably creamy!
How one can Make Sponge Cake
- Start by beating the eggs and sugar with a hand mixer. We would like a voluminous and lightweight mixture, so don’t be afraid to spend some time in this step!
- Subsequent, ditch the hand mixer and get a whisk or picket spoon. Add the flour, sifting with a effective sieve, a bit of at a time, alternating with the milk. Getting air into the batter and maintaining it in it are key to lightness on this cake, so be mild!
- Fold within the baking powder.
- Transfer the batter to a prepared cake pan (I line mine with parchment paper) and bake in a preheated to 350 levels F oven till a cake tester inserted within the center comes out clear.
Ideas and tips for the most effective sponge cake:
- Eggs aerate more quickly when they are slightly heat. So, when you can plan ahead, let them sit at room temperature for a short while before getting ready the cake!
- When you need to be mild when folding in the flour and milk, make it possible for no streaks of flour stay within the batter.
- The success of this cake requires skillful folding. For those who’re not confident in your folding talents, you possibly can separate the eggs. Combine the egg yolks with the sugar and proceed with the recipe as it’s. Then, proper before baking, fold within the whipped egg whites. That should assist with aeration!
- As soon as the batter is completed, bake instantly! It shouldn’t sit out too long.
- All the time preheat your oven when baking desserts (or anything, really)!
- Resist the urge to open the oven door to examine on the cake. Watch for it to look golden brown on the highest to start out checking, or it’d deflate!
Elements for Powdered Milk Frosting
Now it’s time for flavor! Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Powdered milk
- Sweet condensed milk
- Butter, room temperature
- Heavy cream
The right way to make Leite Ninho Frosting
To make the frosting, all you gotta do is beat all of the elements with a hand mixer till clean and fluffy. Until you will have muscle mass of metal, don’t attempt doing it by hand otherwise you won’t get the same results!
Then, refrigerate for one hour or, in case you’re in a hurry, pop it within the freezer for 15 minutes.
When able to assemble, whisk or beat with a hand mixer, to convey back to a creamy consistency, as it might get a bit dense when cold.
This frosting might be made forward and refrigerated for up to three days!
Assembling a Flag Cake
- As soon as the cake has cooled, unmold it and transfer to a big slicing board.
- Minimize the cake in half, horizontally, with assistance from a serrated knife. No need to fret concerning the domed prime, as that may go underneath every part else.
- Place the highest layer, domed prime down and reduce aspect up, again within the cake pan. We are going to serve the cake straight from the pan!
- Pour half of the milk soak (a mixture of milk and candy condensed milk) everywhere in the surface of that first layer of cake.
- Utilizing a rubber or offset spatula, spread the frosting evenly on prime of the bottom layer.
- Prime with the second layer of cake, reduce aspect down.
- Using a fork, poke holes everywhere in the prime of the cake. Then, evenly pour the remaining milk soak, making sure the entire cake is moist.
- Refrigerate till ready to serve. The longer this cake stays in the fridge, the creamiest and moistest it is going to be! So I wish to maintain it in there for at the least 3 hours!
- When able to serve, prime with whipped cream and adorn with the flag design.
- Don’t skip the milk soak! It not only helps moisten the cake but in addition the flavors to penetrate all around, making certain that every chew is creamy and filled with flavor.
- I like to complete my American flag cake with recent whipped cream and the berry decoration proper before serving. In case you are strapped for time and need to assemble the whole thing ahead, you will have to use stabilized whipped cream or Cool Whip. Recent – non stabilized – whipped cream often weeps and wilts as it sits in the fridge. So, despite the fact that it is suitable for eating (and I do, as soon as I’ve leftovers), it gained’t look its greatest!
Adorning an American Flag Cake
You in all probability already observed, but I’m not a skilled cake decorator!
So I skipped all the piping luggage and adorning instruments and opted for a easy berry decoration as an alternative! They make the American flag cake more scrumptious, anyway!
I was just a little intimidated at first, considering I needed to get the flag shape good. I even searched excessive and low in my house for a ruler, simply to realized I had none. “Okay, I’m gonna wing it!”
It seems that arranging the berries to appear to be an American flag is simpler than I assumed. Things don’t need to be good and you don’t want to duplicate the flag precisely to end up with a darn good American Flag Cake!
Here’s how I did it:
- After spreading the whipped cream over the top of the cake, use your finger to mark a rectangle within the upper left-hand nook for the celebs part.
- Use blueberries (rinsed and pat dry) to line the rectangle after which fill the entire thing with extra blueberries. I like to put them with the stem find yourself, trigger I feel they appear cuter that method!
- Use sliced strawberries to create the horizontal pink stripes across the cake. Ranging from the top, I was capable of make 4. The white stripes will be the empty half, displaying the white whipped cream!
And voila: you have got an attractive American flag cake, no special instruments crucial!
Yield: 12 to 15
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Prepare dinner Time: 30 minutes
Further Time: 4 hours
Complete Time: 5 hours
An American Flag Cake that not solely seems to be pretty and patriotic but in addition tastes superb? Sure, it exists! And it makes an eye catching centerpiece on your Memorial Day or Fourth of July celebrations.
For the Powdered Milk Frosting
- 1 (14-ounces) can sweet condensed milk, divided
- 1 half cups powdered milk
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the Sponge Cake
- four eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all function flour, sifted
- 1 cup entire milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup entire milk
- 2 tablespoons candy condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy cream, cold
- 1/four cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 pints recent strawberries, sliced
Making the Powdered Milk Frosting:
- Combine all the frosting components in a large bowl. Utilizing a hand mixer, beat till clean.
- Refrigerate for at the very least 1 hour.
- When prepared to make use of, beat again so it will get creamy.
Make the Sponge Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 levels F.
- Line a 9X13-inch cake pan with parchment paper or generously grease and flour. Reserve.
- Mix the eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Utilizing a hand mixer, beat until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- Add the flour and milk, alternating whereas whisking with a hand whisk. Lastly, gently whisk in the baking powder, being cautious not to lose aeration.
- Switch the batter to the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or till a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take away from oven and reserve to chill utterly.
Making the Milk Soak:
- Mix the milk and a couple of tablespoons of sweet condensed milk in a bowl. Whisk until mixed and reserve within the fridge.
Assembling the cake:
- When the cake has cooled to room temperature, unmold and minimize horizontally in half.
- Place the top aspect, reduce aspect up, back in the pan and pour half of the milk soak over it.
- Spread the powdered milk frosting on prime, smoothing it into a good layer with a rubber or offset spatula.
- Place the second cake half over the frosting, minimize aspect down. Utilizing a fork, poke holes throughout it and then pour the remaining milk soak.
- Refrigerate until able to serve or for at the least three hours.
Making whipped cream:
- Mix the sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Beat just till the cream reaches stiff peaks. Reserve.
Decorating the flag cake:
- Right earlier than serving, prime the cake with the whipped cream. spreading it into a fair layer with a spatula.
- Use the blueberries to outline a square within the prime left corner. Fill in with remaining blueberries to finish the celebs in your flag cake.
- Make several strains of sliced strawberries subsequent to and under the blueberry sq. area. These would be the stripes.
- Serve immediately. This American flag cake is supposed to be served cold!
If you want to make the whole cake forward, together with the decorations, you’ll need to use stabilized whipped cream or Cool Whip.
As an Amazon Associate and member of different affiliate packages, I earn from qualifying purchases.